Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The following day we woke up hugover, but nothing that some chocolate croissants, and baguette couldn't fix. After a lovely breakfast picnic on our bed, we were ready to go see PARIS! Our first stop was to be the Notre Dame. Notre Dame was obviously gorgeous. The gargoyles were cool, and the stained glass windows were pretty. But I'd seen many pictures of it, as well as many other pretty churches before. So off we went to lunch. After another yummy meal, at another lovely brasserie, we decided the next stop would be the Louvre. The Louvre on the outside it breathtaking. It looks like an old palace, and the triangles are interesting to look at as well. The Louvre inside is very stuffy. I think that they don't circulate air in order to help preserve the art? Who knows. We saw all of the classics. I loved the winged victories dress. I thought how I would love for my wedding dress to look something like that (that's foreshadowing...). Saw the Mona Lisa. Again, like at the Eiffel Tower, there was no line, which is apparently unheard of. We walked right up to it, looked at it, and I asked James now what? He said, now you look at it. So we looked at it some more. And then moved on. The best part of the Louvre as far as I was concerned were the benches to sit and look at the art, because at that point the 2 bottles of Sancerre were catching up to me big time, and that, couple with the lack of air in the Louvre was really starting to kick my ass. We made sure to see the Venus De Milo, because it's a classic, and then peaced out. Which James says he was pissed about, but I don't believe him. After another day's afternoon nap, we sat with our Rick Steves book and picked a restaurant to go to. We settled on one with classic French cuisine. Apparently every other English speaker in the area purchased the same book, because there wasn't another French patron in the classic French restaurant. Nonetheless, the meal was devine. I had escargot for the first time. The taste like garlicky mushrooms. Delish. We then decided to go for a walk. We walked through the streets in the general direction of the Seine River. As the River came into sight, James asks, what's that? I didn't see anything, and he goes look at the bank on the other side of the river, and then I did see them sparkling or something like that. So we decided to go see what it was. As soon as we got to the edge of the River, James again goes, what's the Eiffel ower doing? And I look over, and the tower was all lit up in a sparkly light show. It was so pretty! James goes, why is it doing that? And I go I don't know, but it's pretty so I'm going to take a picture, and as I am snapping away, James goes maybe because of this... and takes out a diamond engagement ring, which was sparkling just like the Eiffel Tower was sparkling in the distance. I was so confused. I just kept looking at the sparkly ring, and the sparkly tower, and back again. James claims that that is when he asked me to marry him, but I don't remember that. I do remember asking did you know it (the tower) was going to do that? And James goes I paid them to do that. Really?? No, not really. But when I saw it I knew it was the right moment to propose. AWWWWWWWWW! Although I didn't drink 2 bottles of wine that night, the rest of the night is a blur just like the night before.

No comments: